Friday, April 20, 2007

Tyler Stylez

Autism is a curious thing. I don't think he has ever said one word to me that his mom didn't force him to say, but I feel like we've got a good communication going lately. They try different medications on a regular basis I assume in order to eventually find the best one. Through this, his moods are different almost every single week and it sometimes makes making any progress very difficult. However, I've noticed over time that overlaying all his different moods and quirks is a general understanding of what we're doing and once he gets into his zone he does really well.

Today we had a tough time getting anything done until I asked his mom to accompany us around just for support. We got him up onto the balance beam and suddenly he was like a different person. Somehow the focus of needing to balance sort of aligns his mind and thoughts in a way that helps him process a bit faster. I find that quite awesome. It reminds me of how in anime, (hunter x hunter comes to mind specifically) they always seem to make the point that you can only train and reach your highest potential when you are faced with life or death situations. Your mind is only running on it's highest gear and your body at it's full potential when faced with having everything on the line. Somehow an autistic kid on a balance beam reminds me of that. /boggle

1 comment:

Emily said...

"Dear Jay,

Thanks for teaching me how to roll"