Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Europe: Venice, Italy - Part II

Today Emily taught me a bunch of things about my camera that I had no idea. I've been using it like a big noob for so long that there were some basic things I hadn't ever learned that are now leading to some great photos! I'm afraid I can't show any until I get a chance to sort them and get them "show" ready...but I trust anyone reading this will come back in a few days for some great Venezian imagery.

We've spent the majority of the trip here so far just walking around and exploring every nook and cranny of this amazing city. I'm not a religious person but you really don't have to be to appreciate the amazing churches and religious architecture held in this city. Considering you're standing in a giant stone cathedral that is probably upwards of 800 years old is breath taking. Every inch, or centimeter if you will, of the buildings is pure art. The walls, the pillars, the great shrines, even the floors are all brilliantly laid tile and ornate paintings and mosaics of all different kinds. Gold, silver, glass, marble, it's awesome! You aren't allowed to take photos within the cathedrals and churches so unfortunately there won't be much of those, but we got a few in some certain places that I can post later.

Just wandering through every little alley and observing the daily life of the local Venezians has been so interesting and fun. It reminds me so much of Cape Cod. The city survives on tourism and fishing. You see the locals who spends all of their time catering to tourists and serving food, baked goods, wine, beer, etc., as well as the fisherman and boatmen who spend their days on the canals and sailing the Mediterranean to keep the daily fish markets stocked for us visitors and locals alike. Lastly you've got the unsung heroes of the city who keep it's pipes flowing, it's buildings standing, and it's streets and canals safe. Watching the tourists react to the different facets of the city and it's life within constantly takes me back to being in Orleans or Brewster in the middle of July. I remember my sister was asked one time where she went during the Winter when the Cape "closed". I can definitely see the locals here being treated much the same by the myriad of people visiting from every corner of the Globe.

That's all for today. Don't forget to check out Emily's blog for another side to this interesting story.

http://parisonastudentsbudget.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Alexandra Zedalis said...

The churches in Italy are definitely unlike any I've ever seen. After my trip to Italy all the churches I've seen elsewhere are incredibly unimpressive. But I also say that about Gelato. :P

JayG said...

Yeah it's unreal heh, there is so much history even in just the walls that you can't help but sit back in awe.